Exploring Directions in Ubiquitous Computing and Teacher Education (EDUCATE)
The mission of EDUCATE (Exploring Directions in Ubiquitous Computing and Teacher Education) is to empower faculty and future education professionals to make critically-informed decisions surrounding digital tools that support their teaching, their learning, and their inquiry and scholarship. Our goal is to foster an intellectual community where teachers and students reach beyond passive media consumption to become inspired digital producers.
As of Spring 2016, Penn State students in the Elementary & Early Childhood Education (PK-4) program are required to bring their own device (BYOD) to courses and field experiences in the major. “Device” refers to a laptop computer or tablet with a current operating system that can capture video/audio and connect to the internet.
While the most updated devices are highly encouraged, below are the minimum specifications:
Your device must
- be one other than your cell phone
- have access to the Internet and Internet tools
- possess word processing software
- possess presentation software
- possess the capability to record and edit video, photos, and audio
- be able to access collaborative tools (ex. Box or Google Docs)
- have Antivirus and back-up software