814.863.3975 innovation@psu.edu

On Friday, October 20, 2017, the Krause Studios for Innovation hosted the first ever Google for Education Summit at Penn State. The day started off with a keynote address from Dr. Scott McDonald, Director of the Krause Studios for Innovation who challenged us to examine our own models for education as we participated in the day’s sessions.

I attended a session by Ben Riden and Dr. JT Taylor about Active Student Responding using Google Forms. You might think about incorporating short assessments into your teaching that provide real-time data about your students’ engagement and understanding with the course material.

The two sessions I presented focused on an Intro to HyperDocs. Lisa Highfill, Kelly Hilton, and Sarah Landis coined the term “HyperDocs” which I first heard about on the Google Teacher Tribe Podcast by Matt Miller and Kasey Bell. Highfill, Hilton, and Landis write on their website:

HyperDocs, a transformative, interactive Google Doc replacing the worksheet method of delivering instruction, is the ultimate change agent in the blended learning classroom. With strong educational philosophies built into each one, HyperDocs have the potential to shift the way you instruct with technology. They are created by teachers and given to students to engage, educate, and inspire learning. It’s not about teaching technology, it’s about using the technology to TEACH. (About Hyperdocs, 2017)

There were many other great sessions during the Google Summit that I was unable to attend, but I look forward to staying in contact with fellow presenters so we can learn from each other! Let me know if you’re interested in adding Google Tools to your teaching!